; Phantoms and Monsters: Pulse of the Paranormal

Monday, December 25, 2023

My BIGFOOT 'Fishing Buddy'

A western North Carolina teen lived with his grandparents and would fish at night. One night, his stringer full of catfish was missing. He eventually learned that the culprit was a Bigfoot.

"In the mid-1980s I would spend a lot of time with my grandparents who had a cabin overlooking Lake James in the mountains of North Carolina. I would help out around the cabin, mowing grass, chopping wood, and helping in the garden. It's about a 300-yard walk through the woods to the lake. Grandma liked catfish so I'd spend evenings and sometimes all night catching catfish. There were no houses within a couple miles of my grandparent's cabin.

Several times I had the feeling I was not alone, like I was being watched. The first odd thing was I had walked up the bank, maybe 30 yards, to throw a bass plug across a point where I'd heard a fish chasing bait. When I came back my stringer with three nice catfish was gone. At first, I thought maybe I didn't get it firmly in the ground. But while shining my flashlight around I found footprints. I was a good size 16-year-old and wore a size 13 shoes. Those barefoot tracks were just a little bit bigger.

On my way back up the trail to the cabin I found my stringer hanging in a tree over the trail. I didn't say anything to my grandparents, I just said that the fish weren't biting.

Two nights later I was back in my spot. I had a couple nice ones on the stringer when the feeling of not being alone hit me like a ton of bricks. For some reason, I wasn't scared. I shined my flashlight around. I didn't see anything but I heard something walking in the woods. I had a small fire going and it was lighting up the clearing. As I was getting back to fishing a small rock hit the water right where the stringer was. In my head, it seemed like I heard the words, 'Food. Hungry.' I shook it off a couple minutes later and another pebble hit the water. I heard the same words repeated again.

So, being a teenager, I got a bit of a crazy idea. I took the fish out of the water and walked about 10 feet up into the woods and laid it down. I went back to my chair and sat down. I heard something moving in the woods. Sure enough, the next morning, my stringer was hanging in the tree again.

I fished several more times, but nothing odd occurred. But two weeks later my 'fishing buddy' was back after a couple. Pebbles hit the water at the stringer. I hung it, with fish, on a limb at the edge of the woods. About 10 minutes later I heard a big limb break. The one with the fish was gone. I started taking two stringers just in case I finally got to see him. The week before school started back only, for maybe 5 seconds, I caught a glimpse of a 7 foot tall, mass of shaggy reddish-brown hair.

This continued on for a couple summers. I finally broke down and told my grandpa. He just smiled and said he figured that's what I was doing with the fish. I was stunned! The next time I went fishing my grandpa gave me a bag of vegetables out of his garden. He told me to leave them with the fish. Grandpa said he saw him a couple times over the years.

When my grandparents passed away my aunt sold the land to a logging company. I'm 56 now and never got to go back."

Have you had a sighting or encounter?
Contact me by email or call the hotline at 410-241-5974
Thanks. Lon







Your financial support of Phantoms & Monsters and our other pursuits is much appreciated. Please click the banner above. Thanks.

Have you had a sighting or encounter?
Contact us by email or call the hotline at 410-241-5974
Thanks. Lon

This blog and newsletter are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Work 3.0 United States License.

Registered trademark PHANTOMS AND MONSTERS ® / PHANTOMS & MONSTERS ® - USPTO #90902480 - Lon D. Strickler

© 2005-2023 Phantoms & Monsters - All Rights Reserved