; Phantoms and Monsters - Real Cryptid Encounter Reports - Fortean Researcher Lon Strickler

Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Experiencer Encounters 4-FOOT-TALL ORANGE-GLOWING ENTITY in Newport News, VA Backyard

The experiencer has an encounter with a 4-foot-tall orange-glowing entity that is seen in his backyard. He believes that it is related to his past alien encounters while living in Enfield, Connecticut.

I received the following odd account:

"This incident occurred on April 29, 1982, in Newport News, Virginia. I was working the second shift as a field engineer at the shipyard and would get home between 11:30 and midnight. I would listen to the Richmond rock station at 102.1 MHz to relax and sometimes a challenge to receive, since it was 80 miles away. This night's reception was excellent and it was 1:30 am before I knew it. I told myself I would listen to one more song before going to bed. About a minute later, I heard some static that is characteristic of weak signal fading on FM. Ok, so I would go to bed now. I turned the stereo off and went down the hall to the master bedroom.

Before I could turn on the room light, I noticed an orange glow, like a sodium vapor light, and some blue-green flashing lights out my back window. I had window shades on all windows since I needed a near-dark to sleep during the day when I was on the 3rd shift. I approached the window to open the shade and get a better look. My backyard adjoined a soybean field operated by the Baptist retirement home that was on the next street over. I knew they weren't out harvesting soybeans at 1:30 am. A voice in the back of my head warned me not to open the shade. I started to anyway but was warned again. The shades I bought had the edges curled in the 2 years since I had bought them, so I was able to see out a narrow slit. In the orange glow, I saw a figure about 4 feet high. It turned back towards the lights and disappeared out of my field of view. I tried to move the shade, but my fingers and arm wouldn't respond.

The lights got much fainter and disappeared, all within a few seconds. Then, I was able to open the shade. I saw nothing. Suddenly I remembered the previous events of my life (Enfield, CT 1966 and 1974). Again I asked them what was happening. I asked if it really was them. The answer I got was 'You will know soon.'

The following morning I immediately went to my backyard and looked for any indication of the previous evening's activity. I saw nothing. I was very disappointed, for at last I thought I had real evidence.

A few days later, I looked out the window and saw 3 rings touching each other. They appeared to be perfect circles about 12 feet in diameter and from 4-6 inches in thickness and made of a grey-black powder.

My next-door neighbor, a retired Air Force officer was gardening out back. I brought him a grass blade from the area. He immediately identified the material as a fungus common to the area due to the high humidity. He said the fungus typically starts as a small patch, then grows in random shapes outward, sometimes forming rings up to 2-3 feet over several weeks. I showed him the 3 perfect 12-foot circles that appeared overnight. He had never seen anything like that.

He then showed me several places where some of his azaleas were missing. The dirt was still fresh like they were pulled out by the roots. There was a footprint about 5 or 6 inches long near the plants. It looked like someone was wearing swimming fins with no obvious toe or heel marks. He thought some kids stole the flowers at night. He had several varieties of azaleas, and it appeared that at least one of each color was missing.

I figured it would be little point in telling him what I saw a couple of days earlier, but I gave him a condensed version. I said, "Maybe aliens came from space, spread fungus spores in perfect rings in my backyard, then stole some of your azaleas, just for fun." A look of shock came over his face like I just revealed a state secret. He was not amused by my whimsical explanation. Instead, he asked me to tell him if I ever saw any little kids messing around his backyard. "Sure," I said, "I'll let you know."

The rings remained for weeks through several mowings. This was my last encounter with the aliens." R



Have you had a sighting or encounter?
Contact me by email or call the hotline at 410-241-5974
Thanks. Lon

Subscribe & Join the Chat Group


Welcome to Phantoms & Monsters 'Personal Reports' - cryptid & unexplained accounts directly from the archives of Phantoms & Monsters, and the Phantoms & Monster Fortean Research team. Narrated by Lon Strickler. Join us in the chat, discuss, and ask me questions about the accounts.

Featured in this edition:

Before the remarkable number of winged humanoid incidents started to ramp up at O'Hare International Airport, the neighboring community of Rosemont, Illinois had been experiencing an interesting mix of unknown humanoid sightings & encounters. This presentation will examine these reports.

The winged humanoid was first dubbed the 'Chicago Phantom,' but the media and the internet preferred the moniker 'Chicago Mothman.' 

I will describe the reports and incidents in detail and answer all questions from the chat room.






Strangely Slain Ram Stirs Chupacabra Concerns in Mexican Town

A Strange Story of a Mysterious Village of Vampires in Ontario

Subscribe & Join the Chat Group




Your financial support of Phantoms & Monsters and our other pursuits is much appreciated. Please click the banner above. Thanks.

Have you had a sighting or encounter?
Contact us by email or call the hotline at 410-241-5974
Thanks. Lon

This blog and newsletter are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Work 3.0 United States License.

Registered trademark PHANTOMS AND MONSTERS ® / PHANTOMS & MONSTERS ® - USPTO #90902480 - Lon D. Strickler

© 2005-2023 Phantoms & Monsters - All Rights Reserved