; Phantoms and Monsters - Real Cryptid Encounter Reports - Fortean Researcher Lon Strickler

Friday, December 13, 2013

Excerpts: 'Phantoms & Monsters: Strange Encounters'

Here are a few excerpts from my new book Phantoms & Monsters: Strange Encounters. The book is a collection of personal encounter reports submitted by regular people who felt compelled to find answers about their unexplained experience. A variety of paranormal and supernatural incidents are covered, including phantoms / apparitions, humanoids / other beings, unexplained phenomena, aliens, UFOs, monsters & cryptids. Enjoy!

A Fisherman's Terrifying Close Encounter

Approximately one year ago, my mate and I went out to sea to fish at night. We left the port at 7:00 PM local time and planned to return at 9:00 AM the next morning in order to sell our catch.

It was my watch at the time, around 5:00 AM, and I was sitting in the wheel house drinking some tea. My mate was in his bunk below getting some rest. We had been trawling about 2 hours and the horizon was just starting to brighten up a bit, enough that I could see the ocean surface.

As I sat watching the nets, I noticed that the seagulls that follow the boat were quiet which is unusual. It was obvious that something had spooked them. I walked out of the wheel house and looked along the side the boat and noticed a strange silhouette floating above the water surface that was moving at the same speed of the boat. When I took another look, it resembled a small human lying flat and floating. I was immediately stunned. I rushed back to the wheel house and slammed the door. I was paralyzed with fear and muttered uncontrollably.

I cautiously looked out the window and noticed the being float alongside the boat towards the bow. The navigation lights were on and I could see that the being now turned upright and was floating towards me, no more than 5 feet from the right side of the wheel house window. I just froze as this being stared at me.

It had an oval head, more round that most depictions of ‘greys’ in the media. It had large black oval eyes without pupils and a small mouth that looked like a frown. The skin was very pale, almost a sickly grayish white color. It was dressed in a black hooded robe that covered everything except the face. The being opened it's mouth for a few seconds then closed it again. Then it floated into the darkness and disappeared. My best estimation, the entire encounter lasted less than one minute.

This encounter has affected my life immensely. I have trouble sleeping and dream about the incident constantly. As well, I go out to sea less and less now and will probably stop soon. Name withheld


The Night They Came For Me

Hello, Mr. Strickler. I was referred to your site by my grandson after I mentioned an incident I had in 1958 when I was a young man going to college in Mont Alto, PA.

It was late evening and I was in my room sitting in a lounge chair trying to read and stay awake at the same time. I was near graduation and had a lot of things on my mind. As I sat there, I had a strange feeling like someone was watching me and I became very restless. After a few minutes I 'sensed' that something was on the other side of the closed door to my room. I still can't explain it. So I got up from the chair and went to the door, opened it a bit and looked out. There were two men dressed in black suits and black furry hats. They looked like identical twins. They were dark complexioned with Asian eyes, but they were not Asian.

As I stood there, they didn't said a word but I knew that they were 'talking' to me through my mind, saying '...are you ready?' For some unknown reason, I knew deep down what they were referring to. I was shirtless with only a pair of shorts, so I reached for a jacket, '...that will not be necessary. No one will see you.' The three of us walked out in the hallway and suddenly we were standing on a small hill behind the student hall. I noticed the headlights of a car coming down the street and ducked behind the two men. I heard them laughing at me in my mind, '....we told you no one would see you'.

I was scared and turned away for a minute wondering if I should try to run. I thought better of it, turned to say something to them and noticed that they we looking up. I followed their gaze and realized that something was suspended above is. I continued to look when an opening appeared in its center and blue-white light came tumbling out of it. I started to feel dizzy and a bit nauseous, like when you are on a roller coaster or airplane that is dropping too fast. Then I realized we were floating up toward whatever the object was. I must have fainted because I only remember that I was lying on my side when I woke. I raised up and looked around. The entire room was empty except for the small table on which I was sitting.

The room was bathed in a soft glow but had no apparent light source that I could see. Then I heard a female voice say, '...he's awake.' I looked around to see if I could see anyone but saw nothing. About this time on the far wall a door appeared and opened. Although the hallway was dark, there was a bluish white illumination that appeared as though it was materializing. Two shadows seemed to move across the doorway but I couldn't tell anything about the shapes.

I received a mental image of two people approaching, one carrying a tray full of some kind of surgical instruments and syringes. Then I went blank. My next memory was of being back in my room and in my chair reading. I got up and felt like I had just woke from a deep sleep. Then I noticed several items were missing including three books and a framed photo of my parents.

I have never had any affects (that I know of) from my experience though I have had a remarkable healthy life. As well, I am constantly told I look 20 years younger than my actual age.

Now, the reason I am now writing about my encounter. A few days ago, a large box arrived at my daughter's house that was addressed to me. The reason why it was sent to her address is a mystery. As well, there was no return address and it was shipped from Oakland, California (the state where I now reside). My grandson brought the package to me a day or so later. While he watched, I opened the box. It contained the three missing books and the framed photo of my parents that went missing the night of my encounter. There was also a battered shoebox that looked very familiar. When I opened the shoebox, there were a variety of small items (pens, buttons, coins, etc) that I realized I had lost at some period in my young life. That is when I revealed my past experience with my astonished grandson.

I'm still confused after receiving the package a few months ago. Who were these men and what did they want? Have you heard of a similar experience? You have my permission to copy this email. I really need some answers. Thank you so much. DL


The Smiths

I grew up in a bedroom community outside of New York City. It was the 1970's and all the Father's in the neighborhood commuted to work while our Mothers were stay-at-home 'Moms'. All the Moms were busy-bodies and basically had their noses in each other's business. The talk of the neighborhood was the family that lived beside us - the Smiths.

The Smiths were very strange. There was Mr and Mrs. Smith who looked like they were in their 40's and their kids, a son and a daughter. The kids were early teens - and we never knew their names! They didn't go to school so we assumed they were home-schooled. The only time we saw them was when the whole family would walk single file to the garage in the back of their house and drive away in their Rambler station wagon. My Mom talked to Mrs. Smith once right after they moved in, but that was it. They never answered the door and there was no telephone listing.

Mr. Smith never drove to work and Mrs. Smith was never seen shopping or doing any chores. The yard work was taken care of by two men who would drive up in a gray service truck once a week during the spring and summer. They would cut the lawn and trim the hedges. There were no flowers or trees - no lawn furniture - nothing.

One of our neighbors called the Mayor's office about the kids and school - but we never saw anyone ever come to the house. In fact, they never received mail (the postman told us) and there were never any deliveries.

The Smiths lived there for about 4 years. We didn't even know they had left until another (normal) family moved in. They told us that the house had been on the market for several months and that it was purchased through a Government auction - but that seemed strange as well. Name withheld

Phantoms & Monsters: Strange Encounters

Phantoms & Monsters: Cryptid Encounters

Phantoms and Monsters